Let’s learn all about the particles that make up the atom. The electron gets a lot of discussion, but I think you’ll be happy with how much attention protons and neutrons get! (Updated 2/24/16)
- Protons, neutrons, and electrons: These guys live in the atom hand have crazy parties. Or something like that. Anyway, learn about ’em here.
- Isotopes and atomic mass: This is really a continuation of the “protons, neutrons, and electrons having a party” tutorial, plus I’ve added a picture of a mouse lemur
- The care and feeding of electrons: Light, the Bohr model, and quantum mechanics.
- The real deal with electrons and orbitals: Is the whole particle/wave thing getting you down? Find out what’s actually happening here.
- Quantum mechanics: Actually more of a “quantum numbers” tutorial, this will help you to understand some of the things that might be driving you nuts.
- Electron configurations: Learn the short and long versions of electron configurations here.
- Orbital filling diagrams: The long version of electron configurations!
Supplemental videos: From our friends over at Crash Course Chemistry – they do good stuff over there on a wide variety of subjects.
- Crash Course Chemistry: The nucleus. The name really says it all.
- Crash Course Chemistry: The electron. This is a good overview of the electron, but not a big quantum mechanics video. Think “electron configurations.”
- Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle: What it actually means (as opposed to what you may have heard elsewhere).