- An overview of covalent compounds: An overview of all of the topics below.
- Properties of covalent compounds: Find out how covalent bonding makes covalent compounds behave much differently than their ionic buddies.
- Naming covalent compounds: After naming ionic compounds, this’ll be a breeze!
- Simple Lewis structures: This method is guaranteed to help you figure out how to draw the Lewis structures of just about every covalent compound you’ll be likely to bump into.
- Lewis structures of ions: It’s like the last tutorial, except that ions have a few special rules. No sweat – you’ve got this.
- Resonance structures: What they are, how to draw them, what they mean.
- VSEPR theory: It sounds awful, but it turns out that VSEPR theory really isn’t all that bad. An added bonus: A flow chart that makes it nearly impossible to get it wrong!
Supplemental videos: These videos are all over at the amazing Crash Course YouTube channel. I didn’t make these, though I wish I did.
- Crash Course Chemistry – Polar and nonpolar molecules – What makes them polar or nonpolar, and why does this matter?
- Crash Course Chemistry – Bonding models and Lewis structures – Let’s get into the Lewis structure stuff, and learn why we care.
- Crash Course Chemistry – Orbitals – So, why do we have hybridization and bonding and stuff like that? Learn about the amazing lives of orbitals.