If you don’t know your activation energy from your catalysis, it’s time to read these tutorials! (Updated 10-19-16)
- An introduction to thermodynamics: You can’t learn the subject if you don’t know the terminology. So here’s the terminology!
- Enthalpy (ΔH), Hess’s law, and calorimetry: If you love the letter H and want to know how it’s used, you’re in luck!
- Entropy (ΔS) and free energy (ΔG): Let’s round out the fun we’ve been having with thermodynamics by talking a little bit about randomness and Gibbs!
- Thermodynamics for the truly lazy: Another tutorial from my unpublished textbook – it covers all of thermodynamics in one quick blast.
- Kinetics I: Introduction to kinetics: What is kinetics, and how is it different from Thermodynamics? A nice introduction for those of you who want to know.
- Kinetics II: What determines reaction rates? Why are some things faster than others? Let energy diagrams show you the way!
- Kinetics III: What are reaction rates? Yes, we talked about rates in the second tutorial, but what happens when we try to put numbers on rates? Let’s check out the world of average and instantaneous reaction rates.
- Bonus: An overview of kinetics: From my unpublished textbook, here’s the chapter on kinetics.
- Introduction to equilibria: If you have no idea what an equilibrium is or how it’s formed, this is the page for you!
- Equilibrium constant calculation: How do we figure out what K is? You use the magic of math!
- What equilibrium constants tell us: What does K mean?
- Reaction quotients: What is Q and what has it done to K?
These videos are all over at the amazing Crash Course YouTube channel. I didn’t make these, though I wish I did.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Energy and Chemistry – not surprisingly, this video talks about thermodynamics.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Enthalpy – Let’s learn about our friend – the one whose first name is “Delta” and last name is “H”.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Entropy: Embrace the chaos – About our random friend, whose first name is “Delta” and last name is “S”.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Calorimetry – A good discussion of the world of calorimetry, and what it’s good for in the first place.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Equilibria – A voyage into the world of the reversible.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Equilibrium equations – Let’s quantify the stuff from the video directly above.
- Crash Course Chemistry: Kinetics – Chemistry’s demolition derby: What happens when one molecule punches another? Kinetics!